SMS Elotherm uses the SLM process which, with its high degree of detailing, high density and wide choice of materials has gained a strong position and permits every kind of optimisation in inductors and quenching showers.
In the SLM process the powder is distributed over the build platform with a coater – producing layer thicknesses of 20-50 µm. A laser source subsequently heats the particles locally up to melting point in order to bind them to the previous layer. Following the process, the build platform is lowered and the procedure repeated until the imported
CAD model has been completed. Overhangs and other design restrictions must be held in place by support structures during these micro-welding processes. The supporters are completely removed later on in an additional process. Final quality testing is a guarantee for SMS Elotherm's high manufacturing standards.
- Improvements regarding technical geometry (cooling channels, contour accuracy, topology optimisation, strength optimisation)
- Improvement with regards to fabrication by transfer of component groups into a common component.
- Cost reductions
- Specially suitable for inductors, quenching showers and workpiece-dependent components.
- High potential for optimisation of technical drawings which are, or were dependent, on older fabrication processes.
- Rapid implementation with high reproducibility
- Extended service life with associated increased productivity and reduced costs